11/20/12

My Thanksgiving Challenge--Be Generous

Yesterday I helped an older woman and a homeless man. I merely lifted a heavy box into the woman's car and gave a protein bar and water bottle to the less fortunate man.

Why am I telling you this? I'd like you to celebrate Thanksgiving with me in this way.

(picture is not mine)

At the major shopping intersections, there are always people begging. I know some of them are legitimately homeless and hungry and in need of help. I know some are there because it's easy money. It's hard to tell the difference so I prefer not to judge.

I offer a bar and a water bottle to those people. If they are hungry, maybe that will help. If they aren't, my guess is that they won't take my offer. Either way, I've spent less than $1. So far, I haven't been turned down. I also take their "Bless you!" and offer mine back, with a prayer that they receive whatever they might truly need.

Hopefully I've helped the hungry or brought some comfort in their plight in some small way. And I don't have to worry that I've provided money to feed any addictions they might be fighting.

I'm working on a note of encouragement to include with my token offering. If you have any suggestions, please comment below.

Now back to my challenge to you:  Until Christmas, or end of the year, or whatever deadline you pick, I challenge you to be generous. Be generous to the best of your ability, in whatever way you are being pulled.

I'd love to hear what you decide to do.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of these lines from the song, The Words I would say by Sidewalk Prophets: "Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope."

    ReplyDelete

Speak up here.