11/15/12

Totem Animals & a craft/art project to help you remember the sacred wisdom given to you


Since I am part Native American Indian, I'm drawn to all things dealing with the Old Ways.
 
I regularly encounter animals in patterns. All of a sudden, I start seeing one animal over and over, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. I used to use it as fodder to lead my research for my nonfiction animal writing.
 
Now that my writing focus has changed, I've taken to looking up the animals for the totem meaning. What might God/Spirit be trying to remind me of by putting certain magnificent animals in my path? What lesson can they teach me.
 
My recent recurrent meetings with Eastern Worm snakes led me to look up their Native American meaning. Here's what I found:
 
 "The Magnificent Snake Totem possesses the following virtues:

"Wisdom, healing, intuition, awaking of creative forces, ability to handle change with...
out resistance, new opportunities for change, material vitality, intellect, power over rashness in speech and thought, emotional control, increased sensitivity to the environment, increased powers of smell, transmutation, and increased powers of observation."
Much more fascinating info from http://feathersandbones.blogspot.com/2008/05/snake-totem.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Worm_Snake .
 
Have you run across an animal time and again recently? What was it?
Did you consider the underlying meaning?
Use "totem animal" + the animal name to look up the meaning or go to one of the Native American sites like the one listed above.
 
I'd love to hear what your totem animal is at this time in your life. Please comment below.
 
And if you're wondering, yes, our animal totems change as our needs and life changes.
 

Craft/art project: 

I think I'll start logging my past and present totem animals by taking pictures of them and creating a virtual totem pole with them. The past animals on the bottom and the most current on the top with an explanation of the virues to the side. Sounds like a cool visual reference for self-growth. I'll post any artwork that comes from this new direction.
 
There are many artists that do a version of this. Here is one.
 
 
Beautiful, isn't it?  
 
 
It is NOT mine. It's from http://mara-gamiel.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html .And she talks about many of the topics I've blogged about. Check her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.