2/13/13

Lent, Day 1, pt. 1: Giving up something for Lent



In the Christian church I grew up in, I only had a vague notion of Lent. We didn't celebrate it, or any of the other days except the big 2, Christmas and Easter.

As an adult, I've borrowed a few of the Catholic traditions to deepen my own spiritual life. One of those is Lent. For those of you who have that passing acquaintance with Lent, here's the definition, according to The Free Dictionary:
"The 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday until Easter observed by Christians as a season of fasting and penitence in preparation for Easter."
 
Note that that's 40 weekdays , not 40 days. And no, you don't get to take the weekends off! (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Normal practice is to give up something meaningful for the Lenten season. For the first time, my whole family is picking something to work on. I struggled with what I could realisticall & logistically, and it couldn't be something I was all ready in the process of doing.

So I'm giving up cursing. Yes, cursing. It's my guilty pleasure around friends. I don't curse like a sailor, but I will PUNCTUATE my sentences with carefully chosen curse words.

I'm declaring publicly that I will give up cursing for Lent. And if I fail early on, I'll rededicate myself and start anew.

How about you? Do you celebrate Lent? What vice, obsession, addiction will you give up?

For more on Lent, here's a great source: 
http://alivenow.upperroom.org/2011/01/25/lent-101/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.