8/22/13

ENJAY = Expect Not Just Another Year

 

Before we get started, let me explain how I got here.
I'm an author. I'm in the middle of writing my memoir about amnesia recovery, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)  and a stalker from my teens.
Heavy stuff, stuff I definitely didn't want to relive to write about...again.
Again, I say, because I kept journals throughout my journey. I had them safely & compactly tucked into a portable file box that moved with me. Everywhere. For the longest time, they were my default. If I got lost, if I forgot, if I didn't understand, I found myself in my handwriting in those journals.
My touchstone comforted me...until I grew beyond them.
Growth is good, but scary. Especially when you're dealing with an unreliable memory. But when I went back into those journals in more recent years, I didn't identify with the girl writing them; but I felt her pain deeply and felt how much those words had cost me to write them.
To detach myself from that reminder of pain and darkness, I shredded them.
Only that didn't destroy the feelings. They came back stronger than ever.
I knew the only way to rid myself of the lingering darkness of those years was to write about my changed life, as a SURVIVOR. I meant for my words to be for my eyes only. Only they were powerful. They brought me to cleansing tears. I thought they might help others in a similar situation.
I took advantage of a local writing workshop and pitched an agent. Shakily I told her my story.
I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful agent to help me as I work on finalizing my formal proposal for her to sell.
Going back into the void is one of the hardest things I've ever done. There had to be a way to keep myself from falling back into old mind traps AND help those who may read my words in a few years.
Enter JOT and ENJAY. These are my new inspirational tools. I've crafted them from so many self-help sources. Most recently it's been Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness ProjectOver the years, it's been Joyce Meyer shining God's light that led me from dark to light.
I hope to be the light of hope & faith for those suffering from TBI.
I hope to be a light for you. My little way of paying it forward.
 
Tomorrow I'll explain  JOT and ENJAY. I hope you'll join me.
Feel free to comment below and check out my other social media sites in the sidebar.
Thank you :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.