8/28/13

Why?



Why did I start ENJAY, JOT and A Year Worth Remembering?

Currently I'm in the middle of writing my memoir about my ongoing recovery from amnesia and traumatic brain injury (TBI). It's deep, hard and emotionally draining to go back to the worst period of my life and be able to write coherently about my painful struggles.

To be able to do my best writing and not wallow in the unfairness of it all, I found I needed to bookend my writing period with fun and inspiration. I didn't experience this need when writing fiction. So now I must schedule fun things to switch from the writing mode to family, fun mode.

If I don't fill my inspiration well, I can't be optimally functioning and actively uplifting to me, my family and my friends.

I bet you may also be hunkering down when workloads loom higher. Research suggests taking a break is more productive. In a recent NY Times article, author Tony Schwartz says, "Like time, energy is finite; but unlike time, it is renewable. Taking more time off is counterintuitive for most of us. The idea is also at odds with the prevailing work ethic in most companies, where downtime is typically viewed as time wasted." [bold fonts are mine]

Read more at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/opinion/sunday/relax-youll-be-more-productive.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So if my goal is to help lighten the burdensome load on people, but especially people who are struggling to overcome (TBI), I need to help them lighten their load AND take an occasional break. On the whole, though, Americans need to learn the value of FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.