10/23/13

Symbols & Meanings - Celtic

I saw something that looked like a white dog outside our house this morning. My dog went around it; it slowly walked out of sight.

Image Property of  Third Coast artist, Cathey Henley Osborne. Go to http://www.thirdcoastrs.com/celtic_symbol_custom_stamps.htm to buy her amazing coasters.



This isn't the first time I've spied unusual things when I watch after letting the dog out, but this one surprised me. I felt it was a symbol.

So what'd I do? I looked it up. Here's the answer, via a link from Dawn on Yahoo! Answers:

It seems that a "white hound" is an important Celtic symbol of "companionship / protection / enduring loyalty / guidance / protection" pertaining to the Celtic zodiac. Associated dates are [either] Sept. 2 - 29 and/or Oct. 28 - Nov. 24. 

Dogs were always held in high esteem by the Celts, as a friend and protector. "The Fearsome Battle Hound" is featured in many Celtic myths. In general, hounds were representative of tracking skills, the ability to scent a trail and companionship. The White Hound was a title of honor for Celtic chieftains and representative of the dogs which guarded the lunar mysteries. Dogs were sacred to the fairies of Ireland and Scotland, probably because they were held in high regard by the Tuatha de Danann. Many Celtic myths involve dogs or dog familiars, which belonged to heroic figures or deities, and wars were often fought for and over them. They are also an archetypal symbol of shapeshifters.

Thanks to  Third Coast artist, Cathey Henley Osborne for her lovely Celtic symbol drawings and interpretations. She sells her interpreation of Celtic symbols as coasters at http://www.thirdcoastrs.com/celtic_symbol_custom_stamps.htm . I must buy a set.

Check out her site & let me know which Celtic Symbol calls to you and why.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.