1/14/14

Delicious, Nutritious - Quinoa, Oat Pumpkin Porridge

I tore the original 5 Ingredient Recipe for Crockpot Maple Sweet Potato Oatmeal from Working Mother Magazine and modified it for what I had on hand.

I had a few problems.

  1. First, I didn't have enough steel-cut oatmeal to make the original recipe. Then, I wanted to double it for my bigger crockpot so that I'd minimize the potential burning of a too-shallow pot and have leftovers for another day.  
  2. I didn't have regular milk in the house. 
  3. I didn't want to peel a sweet potato.
  4. All 4 cans of canned pumpkin from my mom had spoiled. 
Substitutes:
  1. I needed something that took a loooong time to cook so that it would stand up to the 8 overnight hours. Note:  I don't like mushy things like oatmeal; I eat it because it's good for me. I chose quinoa for its long cooking time and its high nutritional value.
  2. I had Carnation Evaporated milk, Silk Almond Milk and Land O'Lakes Low-Fat Half & Half.
  3. I had a can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin.
  4. Trashed it all and took it outside before I barfed. Must sanitize the jars today. I must say I've never known any of my mom's canned stuff to go bad like this. A bad batch, I guess. 
I am an amateur crockpot cook, because of stated dislike of mushy things. Still, the convenience appeals to me, especially when I can send everyone off with a hot, healthy meal. 

Here's the recipe & approximate measurements. Enjoy!



Crockpot Quinoa, Oat and Pumpkin Porridge 
(approximate-I'm that kind of cook)

2 cups total of quinoa and/or steel-cut oats 
1 can of Libby's Pure Pumpkin 
1 can Carnation Evaporated Milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups of Silk Almond Milk or regular milk
1/2 cup of low-fat Half-and-Half 
2 cups of water
1/4 -1/2 cup 100% maple syrup 
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Additional Nutritional Add-Ins:
Flax seed
Nuts

Grease inside of crockpot with coconut or other oil. Add liquids and the rest of the ingredients. Stir to make sure everything is mixed well, cover and cook on low overnight for 8 hours. The edges should turn crisp, but not burn. 

Top with nuts, bananas, apples, honey, Craisins, flax seed meal, more cinnamon, etc. 

We topped it with Butterscotch Sauce, made from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book, leftover from ice cream night.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.