3/4/14

Happy Mardi Gras / Fat Tuesday / last day of Carnival!


Happy Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras & last day of Carnival!

I first learned about Mardi Gras during my high school French classes. Sounded like a good excuse to indulge in some good food and drink...and somehow has morphed into the debauchery that typically occurs in New Orleans. They're just following the pagan and Roman traditions.

I suspect you may treat yourself to excesses today, and perhaps imbibe a little too much. Please remember the virtues of moderation...and be safe.

"Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow..."

...shall be Lent.
As a fairly newcomer to the true meaning of Lent, here's my take on it. 
I highly encourage those with more experience
to please speak up, esp. you pastors.

 What's Lent?
A period of  40 days leading up to Easter, 
from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.
During that period, Christians are asked to give up something
to show penance and as a spiritual practice.
Many people fast, or eat less. (See website below.) 
As winter turns to spring, the Lenten season encourages us 
to go deeper spiritually, deepen our faith and 
unburden ourselves of at least one thing that is hindering
our progress.


Spiritual challenge accepted. 
What will I give up? What hinders my life?
I use the kitchen counter as my desk space.
I'm a piler, not a filer, so it's ALWAYS a mess. 
It affects those around me; it affects negatively my frame of mind.
I'm always reminded of the work left undone. For all intents and purposes,
the kitchen area is my office. I can't escape even when I should be winding down the day.
So,
I will work these forty days to shift my work & reminder space to an area that's all mine, a true work space, 
and implement practices that help me better contain the areas of my life.

How about you? Are you giving up something for Lent? What and why? 
I'd love to hear your comments.
Blessings,
GGG


For more, check out these websites:

http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf/2013/01/mardi_gras_faq_answers_to_the.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.