3/5/14

The Fasting & Contemplation Begin


Today is Ash Wednesday, the 1st day of Lent (http://godgirlgoth.blogspot.com/2014/03/happy-mardi-gras-fat-tuesday-last-day.html). If you go to church today/tonight, chances are ashes will be put on your forehead in the sign of the cross, as a sign of penance and your faith.

There's a whole lot more to this, so I send you to someone who knows more than me. Read it here.

For us, we celebrated with a Nawlins' inspired menu of 5 new recipes. All but the pralines turned out well; pralines were too hard and sticky.

We each listed what we were considering giving up. Here's a few things to inspire your choice, if you haven't already decided. And if you're not religious, I ask you to consider the practice for yourself.

I will give up using my 1/3 of the kitchen counter as my personal, very messy desk. So yes, I did take the rest of the pile and shove it into the kitchen desk, but no matter. My area is crystal clean.

Hubby will give up desserts except on special occasions.

One son will work on his "public" speaking shyness by giving up his one-word answers to normal questions from friends and family. The other will give up--well, he hasn't said, but I'm hoping it's the tiresome nagging and bargaining with homework and reading time. It's making  me gray.

So if you are going to give up something, what is it?

Here is one tidbit I didn't know--there are FEAST days on Sundays! From the "here" above link, here is the fasting relief clause:
"Of the 46 days until Easter, six are Sundays. Sundays are not included in the fasting period and are instead "feast" days during Lent." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.