4/4/14

Y2R Adventure 14: Cooking Class

The Classroom

The setup for spectators

Souffle Setup

Wines I couldn't finish (L); iced tea; current course's wines (R)

Cheese Souffle

Baked cannoli prep in mini muffin tins


Baked Cannoli: Pistachio-Dipped (L), Chocolate and Hazelnut-Dipped (R)


What I did: Took a cooking class at the local gourmet food store
I did a live tweet during class. You can tell from the tweets when I could barely see :) And I'd asked for small pours! Others weren't so careful. No designated drivers and full pours.


When I did it: A Thursday evening in March

Notes: 

My husband drove me so that I could enjoy this Wine and Cheese class fully. Good thing he did. We tried 7 different wines, paired with various cheese-based edibles. There was a red and white for 3 dishes and a dessert wine with dessert. Each wine was from a traditional, family vineyard, not a mass-produced wine. The wines were fascinating. The complexity of the flavors were amazing, unlike any other wines I've tried. Not that I liked most, but I did love one white in particular. I bought it for me, as there are no other white wine drinkers in my family.

For the foodies and wine connoisseurs, our menu was:

Bleu cheese dip with crudites         
served with Herbauges La Legendiere Muscadet Grand Lieu, 2002 (*an OLD white, as most whites go bad when aged this long)
and Chateau Baudry Chinon Granges 2010 (*the oddest wine I've every tried! Very black in appearance and taste. Fermented in stainless steel casks and without tannins.)

Aged Cheddar Souffle
served with Fougeray Bourgogne Blanc, 2011
and Aviron Chenas Beaujolais

Four Cheese Panini
served with Coenobium, 2011
and Massolino Dolcetto (which means "little sweet one")

Cannoli
served with Laballe Doux, 2011, my favorite.
(Note: If you're having a dessert wine with dessert, the wine should be sweeter than the dessert.)

I can't tell you how much I learned about wine in this class from the sommelier! To tell the truth, I thought the wines would be paired with cheese selections. I'm glad these were foods we could serve, not just appetizers. 
                    
Other interesting tidbits:

  • In Europe, the dessert wine IS the dessert. 
  • Most cheese dishes taste best when served with white wines, and vice versa.
  • My favorite whites were left to rest on its leaves, which gave it a complexity and depth unlike the newer, mass produced wines. 



The Takeaway/What I learned: 
Spectator food cooking classes are the best of cooking and eating; someone else creates and cleans up :)

Do Again? Absolutely. I've got my next one scheduled.

Rant:  They should put a warning on the classes with this much wine consumed. 

Rave:  So much knowledge in so little time. 

Words of Wisdom:   Whether you enjoy cooking or not, I suggest going to try a class for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up here.